Sunday, January 30, 2005

The Dog Boots

Today I started out wearing little boot on my back left leg when Elsa and I walked with Mom to the bagel shop. Mom says that a kind person on the "degenerative myelopathy" list gave me the bootie. But after a block, Mom took it off because my foot was dragging too much. It didn't bother me really, but I was having a hard time walking.



Mom walks behind us and she notices how Elsa, age 14, just plods along without any problems but I, only age 11, have so much trouble with my left leg. It just doesn't do what I want it to do! Sometime I trip and end up sitting on my left side, even in the middle of the street. Luckily our neighborhood is very quite and serene so it's not like someone is going to careen down the street and run us over. But still, Mom is uncomfortable taking me on street walks now and says we are only going to go to the park where I can stay on the grass. I don't mind because I like the park just fine.

6 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Blogger Unknown barked...

The grass sounds better for hanging out on for you and me both. And those bootie things are good for keeping the salt they put on the roads around here out from inside the pads of your paws. Problem is, getting use to them!

Kaiya the Samoyed who lived here before me (and went to hang out with God couple of years ago) used to have to wear those when she got older - the salt used to eat away at the fleshy part of her feet; I hear it was awful.

Maybe your left leg will come around - I hope so. Is there a chance for it to get better?

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Heidi barked...

Cal dis is a great blog..........tanks for giving me da link! Sam your one good lookin' German Shepard. I'm German too but much much schmaller version of dog. But make no mistake I'm all dog just on da mini side. I play frisbee (ve have mini frisbees) and I love to go outside. Unfortunately dey don't make boots that schmall so I don't schtay outside long! Pleeeeze come visit me.

Chow, Heidi

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Sam the black GSD barked...

Cal,

Thanks for your sweet note. We don't have any snow here in paradise (the San Francisco Bay Area) so I don't worry about salt and ice and such.

You'd have to ask Mom if my leg is going to get better. She's become quite the expert on my nerve disease. She read that it is "progressive" but I don't know what that means.

No matter, we went to the park today and even though I fell down a lot I had a great time. There were 5 different fun dogs there! One was an all-black Burmese Mtn. Dog and he weighs 180lbs! He made me look like a midget even though I'm a big doggy myself.

Sammy

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger Sam the black GSD barked...

Heidi,

I'd love to visit. I'll brush up on my German too!

Sam

 
At 6:17 AM, Blogger with one raised eyebrow barked...

Reow Sam, Kobi is proud of your undaunted spirit! It's a good dog thang! Reow!! Kobi asked Mommy to find out about this 'degenerative myelopathy'... but it was too complicated for Kobi to understand. But Kobi saw 'swimming is good form of exercise'. Can Sam go swimming if it's not winter? Yours reowfooly, Man-nyak

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Sam the black GSD barked...

Hi Kobi,

You and your mom are so kind to think about me. Yes, swimming is good, but my house doesn't have a pool. There is a dog therapy pool and hour an 1/2 away, but that's a long, long ways and it costs over $100/hour to swim.

Sammy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home