Tuesday, April 26, 2005

The Recovery from Onion Eating

You can all breathe easier again...looks like I'm going to be OK despite eating half of a big onion 2 days ago. Although the toxic effects of onions take place a few days after ingestion, my vet says I didn't eat enough to get sick. According to a friend of Mom's, I would have to eat two big onions to get really sick. Since the only cure is a blood transfusion I'm trying to stay off onions in the future. I do have to have my blood tested for anemia next Monday. I don't worry about the future though!

Had a great walk tonight with the other 3 doggies. Jeff came along to help Mom manage all of us. I peed twice but I didn't poop. (Hey, this is what dogs blog about!) You don't even want to know what I sniffed!

Article in the San Francisco Chronicle about onion toxicity in dogs:
Onions a little-known threat
Sophia Yin, DVM
Saturday, December 21, 2002

4 Comments:

At 6:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous barked...

Hey Sam,

I'm glad that the onion incident didn't cause any major problems. It's great to hear that you're feeling good and getting around on your wheels like a pro. Keep on wheelin' big guy!

Max The Wonder Dog

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger Unknown barked...

thanks for letting us know that you didn't poop. That's the kind of info that makes me keep wanting to blog.

Still trying to get my human to pour a Guinness in my water dish . . .

Cal

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Splash barked...

Yeah, onions are bad for us. But usually it is hard to eat enough before you get caught. I guess you found that out!

My friend, Jess, a black Lab, once at 1/2 of a batch of brownies before she got caught. Another time she ate most of a box of chocolates. But compared to her wieght it didn't turn out to be that much. And we dogs are pretty tough.

She's my HERO.

Mostly I get broccoli.

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Freda barked...

Glad you're okay, Sam.

I sometimes eat a few cooked onion pieces when I get to eat human food, but not too many. Mom is such a good cook, but all moms are, aren't they?

Dad use to drink Guinness but it was too filling. Now he imbibes Mackeson Triple Stout and Moretti's La Rossa. I haven't tried any, but they sure smell good.

Again, glad you are all right.

Freda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home