Friday, March 11, 2005

The Letter to my Vet

I am not doing well lately. Rather than try to explain everything I will just include the note Mom gave to my vet today.

Sammy
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Friday, March 11, 2005 9am PT
Subject: Sam the all-black German Shepherd Dog
www.samtheblackgsd.blogspot.com
From: Cynthia, Sam’s pet guardian

Dear Dr. Condreay,

I have some more questions about Sam and I thought it would be easiest to write them down and leave them for you to consider and then call me to discuss.

  1. Sam appears to be losing weight rapidly. I brought him in today to weigh him. Please check the results.
  2. Sam is no longer walking. He does not seem to be in pain but ever since lowering the steroid dose he cannot walk anymore.
  3. There are only 3-4 more doses of the steroid and the tummy liner medications. What should I do when I run out? Do I need more?
  4. Sam is peeing a LOT, oftentimes in the house. He does his best to get outside but sometimes he doesn’t make it. I get up once, twice, sometimes even three times in the night to help him out and he does pee when he goes out but he still has accidents.
  5. Sam has had diarrhea I think I may have solved this by feeding him just 1/3 cup of kibble, brown rice, and pressure-cooked chicken without bones.
  6. Sam has completely lost his bark just in the last week. He now “squeaks”.

I am taking Sam to see Dr. Miller, my other dogs’ vet, on Tuesday. I will let you know what she says or maybe have the two of you speak directly.

I plan to make an appt. with the neurologist later today and hopefully I can go up there next week.

Sam is eating well, he has a great appetite, he loves his treats. He goes swimming 3 times a week and cooperates and swims hard. I haven’t tried to get him into the cart yet perhaps I will attempt that this weekend.

He is very clingy to me and wants to be with me all the time. I don’t let him out of the family room now because I cannot bear to watch him drag himself all over the house following me. I am also worried he will make the sores on his feet worse by doing this.

I don’t know if he is happy or not. I worry that he knows something is terribly wrong and that he is depressed.

Thanks very much.

Cynthia (Sam's Mom)

5 Comments:

At 8:00 PM, Blogger Brandi Mills barked...

Oh Sam, I'm sorry that you're feeling so poorly. Hopefully the vet will be able to help your mom figure out what can be done, if anything. Just remember, she's going to do the best thing for you.

-Dog licks,
China

 
At 12:18 AM, Blogger Unknown barked...

Hi Sam,
Glad you are eating well and swimming too when you can. Me and my human family are all pulling for you to get better!

And drink lots of water (in the daytime) - that's what my collie mom always told me, so it must do something good for you.

Anyway, I really really hope you get a break from any pain you might be having Sam, I really do. And then hopefully you can get walking a little again.

All the best,

Cal and family

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Charlie barked...

Hi Sam - we're pulling for you too!
- Charlie

 
At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous barked...

Hi Sam,
I hope that you will be feeling better soon. I know what it is like to not have your legs work because I have the same problem, too. But it is still good to eat and lie next to Mom.
Just know that your Mom will work hard to figure out just what is best for you. Ask Mom to give you a treat just from me, Kody the GSD.

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger Heidi barked...

Sam hang in dere! I tink your human is wise to make an apointment at a neurologist. My marie has nerve damage and some of your symptoms are very similar. Ve are all pulling for you here and at my blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home