Sunday, July 03, 2005

The Problems in Lifting Sam

Mom sent this note to the Yahoo Group on canine degenerative myelopathy.
--------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone,

I’m having a lot of trouble lifting Sam (90lb GSD) now that he is home from the hospital. I suppose he is weaker overall and is not supporting as much of his weight with his front legs. His back legs are useless, but they were before this bout with pneumonia. He has the Hartman Harness on all of the time. Before he went into the hospital last week I could easily just grab the HH and get him up and he’d trot outside to do his duty. It was almost effortless Now the back part of the harness hardly seems to fit…it moves up too far on his belly instead of staying further back. So it’s like I’m not getting the right kind of leverage. Sam weighs 90lbs (he should weigh 75 lbs and we are working on this…) My back is really hurting me when I pick him up now and afterwards too. This is going to be a big, big problem if I cannot find a solution. I really don’t know what’s going on. Maybe he is just weaker overall? He still has a fever (104.4 F last night) hopefully that will end soon and perhaps he will have more strength?

Separate problem: He doesn’t want to eat any kibble or canned food but gobbles down cooked carrots, banana, watermelon, ice, and dog biscuits. He can’t live on this stuff alone any suggestions on something more substantial to try?

Some good news – there were firecrackers in our neighborhood last night and Sam didn’t pay any attention. Despite his age (11 ½) his hearing is very acute. I got him on Aug 26th last year so this will be our first July 4th together.

Thanks very much.

Cynthia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home