Thursday, June 30, 2005

The New Bout of Pneumonia

This message is written by Cynthia, Sam's pet guardian.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

At 10pm Sammy was fine and ate his bedtime snack. AT 12:30am he woke up whining, which is typical, means he wants his midnight snack. But he wouldn’t eat the snack – a behavior which has never, ever happened. He was also holding his head up a bit (he can sit but he usually lies down) and breathing kind of hard. I took him to the emergency vet and after Xrays and blood work the vet determined that he has pneumonia/infection in one lobe. Sammy also had a fever of over 104 degrees. The vet believes this pneumonia came on very suddenly, maybe caused by aspiration of food that went into the lung. The cure for a normal dog is morphine for the pain, oxygen to help with breathing, antibiotics to work on the infection, and surgery to clear out the lung. Sammy is not a candidate for surgery (because of his degenerative myelopathy) so the possibility of recovery is poor. Since he has been so happy lately I just couldn’t bear to let him go right then and put him in the ICU. If he is going to get better it will take 12-24 hrs. More likely he will get worse and just go downhill.

I know I should have just let him go. I don’t want him to suffer. If he is not clearly improving by noon tomorrow I won’t allow him to suffer any more.

However, the vet said that even though the probability of recovery was low, she felt he had a chance, that he was strong and stoic and had a very powerful drive to live. I agree. I think despite the odds against him that he will improve. If he gets better I should be able to bring him home tomorrow afternoon. He loves to be at home.

Cynthia

7 Comments:

At 9:01 AM, Blogger with one raised eyebrow barked...

Dear, dear Sammy, we're so sorry to hear you're so ill. We're all praying real hard that you recover quick. Indeed you've got a strong will to live and live a happy life, we believe it! Be strong and be whole Sam. God bless you and your loving Mommy.

 
At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous barked...

Dear Sam,

I feel that I know you from reading your blog and to know you is to love you. I pray that you are free from pain and suffering. I also pray that your fantastic Mom, Cynthia, knows that she's doing her best for you. You are such a wonderful boy, Sammy!

Love,

Ann (Max the Wonder Dog's Aunt)

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger R. Keith barked...

Don't feel guilty for not being able to let him go yet. You've done right by my canine cousin and you'll find the right decision within you when the time is right for you both. This may not be the time.

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger Brandi Mills barked...

Sam, I and my mom are thinking about you and your mom. We hope you feel better soon.

But don't be scared if you don't. Your mom will make sure that the best thing is done for you and no matter what happens, I'm sure you're going to be a happy doggy again real soon.

Love,
China

 
At 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous barked...

Cynthia and Sam,

It's Dutch's Mom, Tammy from the DM list. (Sam and his Mom have at least a hundred friends who have the same disease as Sam has.Some of the Moms, like me,have dog-angels now) I just want to make it 'official', here at Sam's blog, that hundreds of us are saying prayers for Sam today. We love you Sam. Get well. Get home to your Mom.

Tammy and my sweet monkey, Angel Dutch

 
At 5:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous barked...

Dear Sammy-
We're pulling for you!
Sending wishes that you're home soon!!

Love,
Meagen & Angel Bensen

 
At 5:35 AM, Blogger Giggle barked...

Dear Sammy,

I hope you get well soon so your mom can bring you home. I enjoy reading your blog! Waiting to hear more from you... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home