Monday, September 19, 2005

The Very Ill Dog

This post is from Cynthia, Sam's pet guardian.

Update at 7pm Tuesday Sept. 20

Sammy Wammy is better! I visited him at 6pm and he was alert, catching treats, drinking water, eating his food, etc. I had a long talk with his vet which Sammy overheard. Sammy is planning to sneak out of his cage later tonight and blog his status by using one of the clinic computers when they are busy saving another pet.

Update at 10:30am Tuesday Sept. 20

Dr. O'Day called and reports that Sam is doing better! His fever went back up to 104 but he is eating and is alert. I wasn't able to visit him this morning...will be going this afternoon. He will be in the ICU for at least another day, probably longer. It's lonely here at home since Buffy is with his cousin Kodi and Pumpkin is with his cousin Bandit. Just me and the personality challenged Elsa (my 15 yr old GSD).

Update at 3:30am Tuesday Sept. 20

Sam is slightly better. He is on oxygen thru a tube and was given an anti-anxiety medication so he could stop worrying about breathing and relax and sleep. His fever is down to 103 (101.5 is doggy normal). I will be visiting him at 10am when his vet comes back to work.

Original post at 9pm Monday Sept. 19

Sammy Wammy is very ill with aspiration pneumonia again. It came on suddenly this morning; he has been at Adobe Hospital in the ICU since 12:30pm. Dr. O'Day has been taking care of him.

Sammy was eating when he went into the hospital, but at 5pm when I visited him he was no longer interested in food. His fever has gone as high as 105.5 is now at 104.7. He is on oxygen, an IV, and 3 types of antibiotics. X-rays showed the pneumonia is in both lungs, although not very severe. He is also anemic again, which no vet has ever been able to explain.

I just spoke with Dr. O'Day at 8:30pm to get this latest news. Dr. Rogers, who is the nighttime vet and cared for Sammy before when he had aspiration pneumonia, will be taking over from Dr. O'Day until 10am tomorrow. Dr. Rogers will call me if Sammy takes a turn for the worse.

I am very worried as Sammy Wammy looked miserable when I saw him earlier. He did recover beautifully from his last bout of pneumonia though so I am also hopeful.

Cynthia

4 Comments:

At 11:56 AM, Blogger Freda barked...

Hey Sammy,

You better get well soon and get home. Sounds like Cynthia is going crazy but she does have Elsa. Maybe the pending move has thrown you off kilter or something.

My typist and I are barking for you and truly hope you get well really really fast. My typist knows that your human is going through and it doesn't make him feel good either.

Hang in there, buddy! You too, Cynthia.

A quiet Woof...

Freda (Sometimes known as Freders)

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger IndyPindy barked...

Hi Sammy,
I'm so sorry that you're sick!I will keep my doggy paws crossed for you, and please keep us updated. I'm glad you're feeling better!
Indy

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger PrincessMia barked...

Hi Sammy, I hope you are feeling better buddy. Take care of yourself. Hi Cynthia, we've been reading sam's blog since the beginning and we'll keep him in our purraryers.

 
At 8:30 PM, Blogger Sam the black GSD barked...

Hi Cyberdog buddies (and Cybercat buddies). This is Sammy. I'm much better now. I've snuck out of my cage in the ICU and I'm blogging using a doctor's computer. Thanks for all of your kind words -- Mom read them to me when I was really sick and I felt better knowing you all care about me.

Sammy Wammy

p.s. Miss Kitty and Princess Mia -- your meows are appreciated. I'd like to thank you by chomping on your lithe feline bodies. Come to visit soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home